Getting started with the freelance life.
Business & Entrepreneurship
Building your full-time freelance career.
- You're an Artist, Not an Entrepreneur
- How I Grew My Freelance Business from $0 to Six Figures
- How to Build a Recession-Proof Design Business
- When they go cheap and global, double-down on premium and local
- Self-Employed Identity Crisis: Freelancer, Contractor, Consultant, Entrepreneur, or Solopreneur?
- Build your freelance business on values
- Are we doing freelance contracts all wrong?
- Professional freelancers don’t do “gigs”
- The freelance business growth dilemma
Value & Pricing
Thoughts on money, value, and rates.
- Why I never quote a fixed price
- Why is pricing design so hard?
- How I earned $150K last year from freelance design
- You're probably calculating freelance rates all wrong – follow this strategy instead
- Designers who can code are more valuable
- What to charge: does value-based pricing live up to the hype?
- How I earned $15,000 last month from freelance design
Client acquisition, types, and relationships.
Communication & Professionalism
Learn to think and talk your client's language.
Reputation & Marketing
Positioning your personal brand for maximum trust.
- How Solo Freelancers Can Land Massive Gigs
- You say “NO” but they come back begging for a “YES”
- Chocolate bars taught me how to price my freelance services
- I’m self-employed, but I don’t “freelance”
- “Finding your niche” is bullshit
- I fell off a freelance cliff, but built a parachute before I hit the ground.
- Designers, kill your labels
Design & Creativity
Matters of UX/UI design and creative process.
- 9 Ways to Stop Designing the Same Old Stuff
- The Best Designers Are Both Creators and Curators
- Data-Driven Design Is Killing Our Instincts
- How to fend off bad client ideas
- One design concept, infinite revisions?
- The truth about Art vs. Design
- The value of style-agnostic design
- Is Responsive Design Dead?
- How to give and receive great design feedback
- Why good designers can never do their best work
- Brand is king. Respect the king.
- The value of a design education
- Finding offline inspiration
Design Process & Strategy
Where design meets business.
- Novices Design the Surface; Experts Dive Deep
- Why Compromise Is the Great Design Superpower
- Why Designers Need to Be ‘Specialized Generalists’
- No, not “everyone is a designer”
- R.I.P. – Big Design Up Front
- Design is not a choice
- Fast design vs. quick design
- You pay me, but I don’t work for you
- Designing for your clients, or for likes from your peers?
- The best designers are business strategists
- Designers, get uncomfortable
Lifestyle & Productivity
Freelance balance, efficiency, and self-improvement.